The Social Light Movement Manifesto
'Light is a right, not a privilege'
'People before places'
The Social Light Movement (SLM) is a philanthropic movement and has been founded in order to create a network for lighting designers and other interested parties to collaborate on the issue of improving lighting for people: particularly those who are unlikely to have access to good quality illumination within their environment.
The SLM exists:
- to demonstrate and to design well lit environments for social and underprivileged housing areas and people
- to involve the community in the actual design of their own environment
- to encourage other designers to work in similar environments and use similar methodologies
- to educate housing associations, housing management teams and social housing ownership bodies about the benefits of good lighting
- to gain the support of city administrations, urban planners, architects, landscape designers, electrical engineers, lighting designers and other associated disciplines
- to create attention, arouse public opinion, influence politicians and decision makers
- to promote responsible energy use within lighting design
- to persuade people that they have the right to expect good lighting
- to never use sodium
Vive La “Light Revolution”!